[Dixielandjazz] Bolenisms!!

BillSargentDrums@aol.com BillSargentDrums@aol.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:21:44 EST

--part1_97.3033ad28.2af95828_boundary

In a message dated 11/4/02 9:36:37 PM Central Standard Time,
res0a3qw@verizon.net writes:

> In the days BEFORE it was politically incorrect to refer to a woman as
> inferior, I was told by my drummer husband that girls could not (didn't
> have the ability) play drums.  Then our daughter came along and joined
> the drum line and did very well!  However, she never could play the trap
> set.

My 9 year old started playing drums at age 8. I discovered she had an
incredible sense of time (better than many pros I've seen) . . . always
correcting others on how to clap on the back-beat.

I began including her in a group lesson I'd give for a local school . . . and
she'd play with such authority and aggressiveness, she was always blowing
away all the boys that were 4 years older. I had to tell her to take it easy
on them . . . and she's just smile.

She had the chance to do a drum solo for the whole school chapel. (No band .
. . just her on drums) and when she got up in front of the whole school, with
all eyes on her, she discovered she'd forgotten her sticks. (most kid's would
have lost it at this point) Not wanting to disupt the flow of the program by
going back to the room to get them, she just did her entire solo with her
hands and blew the school away.

For about a half year now, she's been playing full percussion with our
skilled adult Praie & Worship team at our large church. Not only is her time
impeccable, but she comes up with things that many percussionists, including
myself, would never have thought of . . . and it's all good.

For all y'all that may be worried that I'm warping my daughter for life by
allowing her to be a drummer . . . it should be noted that both my girls (the
other is 13 years old) take piano lessons, play drums, take music theory
lessons, have begun voice training, and are active in all choirs available.
One has already appeared on 3 CDs and the other 2.

Thanks for letting Daddy brag about his blessings !

Keep Swingin'!
Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargent.com

--part1_97.3033ad28.2af95828_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 11/4/02 9:36:37 PM Central Standard Time, res0a3qw@verizon.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In the days BEFORE it was politically incorrect to refer to a woman as<BR>
inferior, I was told by my drummer husband that girls could not (didn't<BR>
have the ability) play drums.&nbsp; Then our daughter came along and joined<BR>
the drum line and did very well!&nbsp; However, she never could play the trap<BR>
set.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
My 9 year old started playing drums at age 8. I discovered she had an incredible sense of time (better than many pros I've seen) . . . always correcting others on how to clap on the back-beat.<BR>
<BR>
I began including her in a group lesson I'd give for a local school . . . and she'd play with such authority and aggressiveness, she was always blowing away all the boys that were 4 years older. I had to tell her to take it easy on them . . . and she's just smile.<BR>
<BR>
She had the chance to do a drum solo for the whole school chapel. (No band . . . just her on drums) and when she got up in front of the whole school, with all eyes on her, she discovered she'd forgotten her sticks. (most kid's would have lost it at this point) Not wanting to disupt the flow of the program by going back to the room to get them, she just did her entire solo with her hands and blew the school away.<BR>
<BR>
For about a half year now, she's been playing full percussion with our skilled adult Praie &amp; Worship team at our large church. Not only is her time impeccable, but she comes up with things that many percussionists, including myself, would never have thought of . . . and it's all good.<BR>
<BR>
For all y'all that may be worried that I'm warping my daughter for life by allowing her to be a drummer . . . it should be noted that both my girls (the other is 13 years old) take piano lessons, play drums, take music theory lessons, have begun voice training, and are active in all choirs available. One has already appeared on 3 CDs and the other 2.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for letting Daddy brag about his blessings !<BR>
<BR>
Keep Swingin'!<BR>
Bill<BR>
414-777-0100<BR>