[Dixielandjazz] Lonnie Donegan

John Petters jpettjazz@btinternet.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:08:42 -0000

Sad to hear about Lonnie just a few days after the passing of Jumpin' Jack
Gilbert. The UK jazz scene has taken a knock recently.
I had the pleasure of meeting and playing with Lonnie several times in the
80s when he was making a return to the jazz scene. He put on a great show,
although there was a degree of temperament in the gig in Harlow. None the
less the crowd were happy.
Of all the performers that came out of the trad boom, Lonnie should have
been the one to really capitalise on his success. Ball Barber Bilk and Melly
have been permanent features in theatres and festivals all over the UK since
the year dot - yet I feel Lonnie somehow lost the plot as the Guardian
review hinted, with his change of musical styles alienating a large
proportion of his audience. When he played with my band, he also insisted he
had his rock outfit along for the ride, when all the folks wanted was
skiffle and traditional jazz.
Pity he was indirectly responsible for the decline of British popular music,
although his early recordings swung and had a very good feel to them.
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ