[Dixielandjazz] Re:Marie Marcus

LeslieMRag@aol.com LeslieMRag@aol.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:18:57 EST

--part1_1a9.b619457.2af83031_boundary

Actually, we've run a lot about Marie Marcus in The Mississippi Rag,
especially in George Borgman's "Yankee Jazz Beat" column. Marie Marcus is an
amazing and colorful woman. She suffered a stroke a while back but applied
herself to rehabilitation enough to regain her playing skills, and she's been
a real force in reinvigorating the New England jazz scene, not just as a
performer but also as a jazz activist. Her memoirs should be a hoot because
she's got a good memory and plenty of very entertaining stories.

Leslie Johnson
editor@mississippirag.com OR
lesliemrag@aol.com

P.S. Don't forget to vote in our new poll (www.mississippirag.com, click on
"Online Poll")

In a message dated 11/02/2002 2:01:34 PM Central Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Will and others--
>      In the November issue of _The Mississippi Rag_ (page 15, in
> Yankee Jazz Beat by George A. Borgman) there's a notice about Marie
> Marcus:
>
>       "Marie Marcus, 88, after a 70-year career in the music business,
>     has decided to retire, so, on Sept. 18, a cable TV crew went to
>     her apartment in Dennisport, Cape Cod, to tape a half-hour program
>     of Marcus playing piano, accompanied by bassist Ron Ormsby and
>     drummer Dave Sager.  Marcus is currently working on her memoirs.
>       "Marcus, who enjoyed reading about Lionel Hampton in last month's
>     RAG, tells me that in New York City in the 1930s, while she played
>     piano at the Swing Club on 52nd Street, Hampton came up to the
>     piano and told her, 'You play the lower part, and I'll play the
>     treble with two fingers.'  Marcus said it was just like he was
>     playing the vibes with two mallets."
>
>  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas

--part1_1a9.b619457.2af83031_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Actually, we've run a lot about Marie Marcus in The Mississippi Rag, especially in George Borgman's "Yankee Jazz Beat" column. Marie Marcus is an amazing and colorful woman. She suffered a stroke a while back but applied herself to rehabilitation enough to regain her playing skills, and she's been a real force in reinvigorating the New England jazz scene, not just as a performer but also as a jazz activist. Her memoirs should be a hoot because she's got a good memory and plenty of very entertaining stories.
<BR>
<BR>Leslie Johnson
<BR>editor@mississippirag.com OR
<BR>lesliemrag@aol.com