[Dixielandjazz] Earnest lady at the radio station

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:35:25 -0800

Oh boy, Dave!
You're asking me to wade into uncharted waters.  Remember, please, I am NOT
a lawyer - these are my thoughts; I don't know US copyright law at all,
except what I read yesterday when I looked it up on the Library of Congress
site, and from what I remember of discussions that have taken place on the
other two music discussion lists I participate in.

I think the first thing to do is look at the printed copyright date on the
sheet music.  I think the American system required the copyright symbol to
be shown prior to a certain time.  If that date is before 1923, you're
probably ok in the US.

The second thing to do is to search the copyright records - that reference
page tells you how, and I think they will do it for you for $75/hour of
research time.  You can search the records yourself, but I think you have
to go to Washington to do that.

But please, read the coyright information on that website yourself. I am
not capable of offering any reliable opinion, and the FAQ's etc. seem to be
pretty good.

David in Delta