[Dixielandjazz] Earnest lady at the radio station

David Palmquist davidpalmquist@dccnet.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:24:10 -0800

Chas wrote:
"PS: But with all my wise-assed comment, I still haven't a clue how to deal
with the earnest lady at the radio station who just must have "the
documents" that prove beyond a doubt the rights to this song going back to
the day before the earth was formed. What would satisfy this fearful
cover-my-ass person? ..."

I believe she's with a Portuguese station.  From the Duke-LYM list postings
by Europeans, I understand most broadcasters (all of them?) must keep track
of every piece of music they play and pay a royalty.  So she's just trying
to make sure her station doesn't get fined for not paying a royalty when it
should.  She needs the documentation (or the information) to satisfy the
regulatory bodies that the station is on side.  Probably she would be
satisfied if you can show her when the copyright on that music expired
under PORTUGUESE law.

David in Delta