[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet sound - was Brian Shanley

Stephen Barbone dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 16:17:38 -0400

List Mates-

Lots of clarinetists are convinced the Albert System has a bigger sound
than Boehm, or that Selmer cuts through better than Buffet etc. I don't
profess to know whether that is so or not because lots of clarinetists
also say the exact opposite, and then there are those who say that
instrument type, brand, or what it is made of, doesn't make a bit of
difference. They claim it is the column of air that the player projects
through the horn that determines the sound. It is the player, not the
horn, they say.

Note a few months ago that the "Mississippi Rag" had a feature article
about players who prefer metal clarinets. They claim that sound is
better than wood. And so the argument rages on.

As a footnote, I tried one of those bright red molded plastic clarinets
that a teen age fan/player brought to our club date a couple of weeks
ago. Sounded pretty much like my Selmer, might even have had better
intonation within itself, and played easier that my Buffet. What now?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone