[Dixielandjazz] 1 hour sets

Tommy Loy dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:01:19 -0500

Well, Listmates...

    The Jubilee has come and gone and I want to comment on this
"sets of 60 minutes" thing.

Personally, I like to play the first set @ 60 minutes and then do
a 20 minute break;  play into the next "straight up" hour;  take
another break and finish.  Sometimes, the hour is TOO much
depending on material called and the cornet picker's chops.  Then
again, an hour and fifteen isn't THAT much harder.

    I remember the Jubilee I did in 1989.   The sets were 90
minutes...period.   That's a real burden on bands used to doing
45-60 minutes.  I know the reasons and 60 minutes was fine for me
although I heard some bands say they wish they had more time.  I
personally think you "program" differently for 60 minute sets as
opposed to 90 minute sets.  Just M(ns)HO.

Good to see/hear all of you and thanks to those who came up to the
Cell Block 7 to say "hi".

    Tommy Loy / Texican Cornetisist & Pujé Trumpetophile