[Dixielandjazz] Cakewalkin' babies

briantowers dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 09:49:27 -0400

Robert,

I presume you also have the Clarence Williams Blue Five recording of January
8th 1925, the first recording of this tune, with the part-composer Clarence
Williams on piano.  If not,  you are missing something very important.
Vocalist Eva Taylor sings it in an upbeat manner, compared to Bessie's more
blues orientated May 5th 1925 version.  (I notice Bessie improvises on the
lyric a little) It is great but Bessie's version loses in a comparison,
IMHO.

In the Clarence Williams version the band's ensemble sound is sublime, with
Louis Armstrong-cornet; Sidney Bechet -soprano sax; and Charlie Irvis-
trombone (in a definitive tailgate style).  It swings like the clappers,
incredibly with just a two piece rhythm section of Clarence Williams - piano
and Buddy Christian -banjo.

If I was in the business of teaching basic New Orleans style jazz - this
would be a contender for exhibit number one!  The front-line counterpoint is
spellbinding - close to perfection in fact.
Regards,
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada
Band web site:            http://hotfivejazz.tripod.com