[Dixielandjazz] More on Georg Brunis

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 09:53:26 EDT

--part1_130.f0a465a.2a28da56_boundary

In a message dated 5/31/02 8:40:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

>     Niether did Pee Wee Hunt, who explained, "Benny Goodman once told me,
> when you think of something good, remember it!"  Well, Pee Wee had
> remembered just about everything, and we all had his choruses memorized
> just
> like he did.  Nobody remarked on it: that's how Pee Wee did it; ok.
>
>     Till, of course, Smokey Stover (who else?) on an important concert went
> to the mike and played Pee Wee's chorus note for note right in front of
> him.
> But Pee Wee took it in stride; he just stood there holding his trombone and
> mused over the microphone, "Now, what the hell am I gonna play...?"  We
> cracked up, but the audience was a bit mystified.
>
> Charlie

   Pee Wee Hunt was a fine trombonist and made some great records for
Capitol.
   In particular I remember his recording of "Snag It" that I though was one
of the best renditions ever os that old blues tune.

   Armstrong and Teagarden felt the same way about working up good choruses
and sticking with them.  I would have done that myself but I could never work
up a particularly good chorus on anything.

   JIm Beebe.

--part1_130.f0a465a.2a28da56_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 5/31/02 8:40:33 AM Central Daylight Time, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Niether did Pee Wee Hunt, who explained, "Benny Goodman once told me,<BR>
when you think of something good, remember it!"&nbsp; Well, Pee Wee had<BR>
remembered just about everything, and we all had his choruses memorized just<BR>
like he did.&nbsp; Nobody remarked on it: that's how Pee Wee did it; ok.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Till, of course, Smokey Stover (who else?) on an important concert went<BR>
to the mike and played Pee Wee's chorus note for note right in front of him.<BR>
But Pee Wee took it in stride; he just stood there holding his trombone and<BR>
mused over the microphone, "Now, what the hell am I gonna play...?"&nbsp; We<BR>
cracked up, but the audience was a bit mystified.<BR>
<BR>
Charlie</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Pee Wee Hunt was a fine trombonist and made some great records for Capitol.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; In particular I remember his recording of "Snag It" that I though was one of the best renditions ever os that old blues tune.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Armstrong and Teagarden felt the same way about working up good choruses and sticking with them.&nbsp; I would have done that myself but I could never work up a particularly good chorus on anything.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JIm Beebe.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>