[Dixielandjazz] Request for lyrics Cakewalkin' babies

briantowers dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 21:27:38 -0400

Robert,
Thanks to the very wonderful listmate Audrey Dyke, I have the 1924 Clarence
Williams/Smith/Troy sheet music before me so I guess that is final.
It is not quite what I sing however!   (I better smarten up!)

Cake Walking Babies From Home
Verse
Cakewalkers may come and cakewalkers may go,
But listen to me tell you 'bout a couple I know,
High steppin' pair, I say they're there,
When they're out for business, not a soul can compare

Chorus
Here they come, those struttin' syncopators,
Going some, look at those demonstraters,
Talk of the town, Green and Brown,
Picking 'em up and laying 'em down
Prancing fools, that's what I'd  like to call 'em,
They're in a class all alone.
The only way for 'em to lose is to cheat 'em,
You may  tie them 'em but you'll never beat 'em,
Struts their stuff, They don't do nothing dif-frent,
Cakewalking Babies from home

No alternative choruses in the sheet music.

Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers, Toronto, Canada
Band web site:            http://hotfivejazz.tripod.com