[Dixielandjazz] No dirge for England--not quite yet

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:54:34 EDT

In a message dated 30/5/02 15:17:35, charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

<< As an unrepentant Anglophile I have watched that island descend from the
glory of the world, teaching all nations about fair play, the Court of
Equity motto: "Let right be done!,"  down to its present state, at the mercy
of foreign invaders (called immigrants) who have managed to infiltrate as
German troops never did. >>

Charlie,

What a strange outburst coming from a citizen of a country largely populated
by 'immigrants' who have managed in the last few centuries to decimate the
indigenous population.

An interesting thread indeed but bugger all to do with jazz.

Our National Anthem is a dirge and nearly as bad as that of the USA. Both of
our countries could have done a lot better musically when picking a tune we
could all know and love. 'America The Beautiful' is a much better song than
that old 17th or 18th century English drinking song which you have adapted
and expect the musically challenged members of your population to warble on
suitably patriotic occasions.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,