[dixielandjazz] Re: Emil Orth plays Taps

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 11:20:10 EDT

In a message dated 28/05/02 14:58:47 GMT Daylight Time, JimDBB@aol.com writes:

<< We have all witnessed recent
 desecrations of our National Anthem.  Soul singers and country singers have
 almost destroyed our sacred song beyond recognition. >>

Its happening all over Jim. We have football fans with hats, pants, faces
even painted with the Union Jack. In my youth someone would have taken these
misguided characters aside and explained things to them. Forcibly if need be.
No law. No officialdom.Just somebody pointing out that they should show a
little respect.
The National Anthem was always played at the end of the evenings film
performance. There were always a few who scurried out before it started, but
not many.
Now we have a pop concert in the grounds of Buckingham Palace to mark the
fact that the Queen has been on the throne for 50 years. The `artists` have
refused to sing the Anthem `because its a dirge`.
I now how I would deal with it but in these days of `popular` culture no one
has the guts to take a stand.

Cheers

Pat