[Dixielandjazz] festivities

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:56:24 +0200

July 4th is no big deal in Spain, as one can imagine.....just another
day.  There are fireworks here all summer long as each neighbourhood has
his own Saint, and when that Saint's Day falls, the "barrio" do it up
big.  We had beautiful fireworks right over our garden recently, which
went down well as I told my dinner guests as we were finishing dinner in
the garden that I had laid it all on for them personally (a showman
would NEVER let such an opportunity pass, would he, now?).

Anyway, La Canal is playing once again at the U.S. Embassy garden party,
but strangely enough this year it is on July 3rd. (which worked out well
as we were already booked for Thurs Jazz nite at the Palace Hotel!).
It's been about 10 yrs since we've done the Embassy party.  We were
regulars, then someone discovered they could get the Navy Band for free!
The Embassy pays gigs as though they were in the U.S., so we don't get
the kind of bread we would normally get for a high powered gig, but it's
still not bad.

I'll be curious to see what security is like.  10 yrs ago we got the
mirror under the car, "can I see what is in your trombone case,
please"....(surprise!  A trombone!!), a gunman on every rooftop within
view, a helicopter (plop, plop, plop, plop) silently floating almost out
of sight........  There's been an honest to goodness TANK sitting on
Calle Serrano (the 5th. Ave of Madrid) since last Sept., so one can only
imagine what it is like INSIDE the grounds.  I will make a report to
DJML on July 4th, if I get in/out safely!    :>

Jim
p.s.  We wear striped vests for these occasions (I know, I know, it's
corny, but then that's what the paying customer likes!).  Maybe we
should get bullet-proof versions made for the modern day gig!