[Dixielandjazz] Not Dixieland Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 02:53:16 -0400

Hi Jerry:

Sorry old man. I thought you, of all people,  might see the irony of it. The
band leader coming out in a sheet with a candle. Did he steal that seen
from Don
Ingle's Dad, Red, in the movie "Bring on the Girls?"  With the Spike
Jones Band
etc. Was it a reprise of Chloe? I guess I thought list mates might connect
Yoruba,  church praise songs, and the candle bit with OKOM. and discuss
it, Or
that "showmanship" might be discussed. Sorry, obviously I was wrong.

Regarding my other references, they were to some rather long posts on
the list
about other subjects. You may recall longs posts about Sousa, Eminem. liberal
egalitarians, drums and The Star Spangled Banner, etc. Nothing to do with
Dixieland either, although they were very funny. Perhaps you missed them?
Certainly the Jazz Police did.

Regarding Barbone Street, I have not posted local reviews of my band
because I
see no need to validate what we do and no doubt someone would take
offense if I
did post them. Also In previous posts, I have indicated my disdain for critics
and do not seek to glorify their opinions. On the other hand, I love the press
and have thousands of words in several articles about the band but being the
world's second most modest man, I respectfully decline to push them upon you.

And BTW, I have in the last 6 months or so posted a total of 6 New York Times
Reviews specifically mentioning music that fits the broad definition of OKOM.
>From New Orleans Jazz at Lincoln Center to Vince Giordano's Nighthawk's
performing "hot tunes from the 20s and 30s" weekly in Brooklyn NY. Guess
you missed them also

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Jazzjerry@aol.com wrote about the recent jazz post  (A bit snipped to illustrate