[Dixielandjazz] art and technique

Tito Martino tmartino@terra.com.br
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:01:41 -0300

Hi Chris,=20

You wrote to my pal Tom Wiggins,

<<<<"Technical development is necessary but
not sufficient for artistic development."

I am sending this to all of my musician friends (at
least those who I have e-mail addresses for) because
it put things into perspective for me.  What'd you
guys think?

-Chris-

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Christopher Andersen
22317 Cynthia Ct.
Hayward, CA 94541
(617) 869-5325
Jazzbone101@yahoo.com>>>>

Well, I'm absolutely sure you're right.
Simply why? Because Art, real Art, involve a lot of Spirituality, or if
you prefer, applied psychic energy and intuition, plus a lot of other
indefinable human qualities.  So, he who works only with technique, is
an artisan, I mean, a specialized handworker; But he
who works with indefinables, is an Artist. And with better technique,
better Art he gets.

Tito Martino
Clarinet, alto sax, soprano sax, leader,
Tito Martino Jazz Band
S=E3o Paulo  Brasil=20