[Dixielandjazz] Fw: A.Word.A.Day--prick-song

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon@juno.com
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:58:54 -0400

I thought you might find this intersting.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Wordsmith <wsmith@wordsmith.org>
To: linguaphile@wordsmith.org
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:20:18 -0400
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--prick-song

prick-song (prik song) noun

   Written music.

[From picked-song, music sung from pricked (written) notes, as compared
that sung from memory.]

   "My last hope before Election Day is that each will put down his
   prick-song and sing a plain-song in debates before a national
   audience."
   Billy Porterfield, Perot, Bush, Clinton Leave Voter Swerked in
   Mubblefubbles, The Austin American Statesman, Jun 24, 1992.

   "Mercutio: More than prince of cats, I can tell you.  O, he is the
   courageous captain of compliments. He fights as you sing prick-song
..."
   William Shakespeare, Romeo And Juliet: Act II, Scene IV.

This week's theme: words that appear misleading.

Today's AWAD is sponsored by NannyTax, Inc., offering on-line tax
preparation
and payroll tax compliance services to employers of domestic help. Please
visit http://www.nannytax.com

AND
Are you wasting your drive to work every day? Learn a second or third
language
in your car. You only need 30-minutes. http://LanguageLovers.com/?AWORD

The sparrow is sorry for the peacock at the burden of his tail.
-Rabindranath Tagore, poet, philosopher, author, songwriter, painter,
educator, composer, Nobel laureate (1861-1941)

Q: Tomorrow is my friend's birthday and I forgot to send her a gift.
Help!
A: Give the gift of words. Send a gift subscription of A.Word.A.Day at
   http://wordsmith.org/awad/gift.html . It is the gift that keeps on
   giving the whole year long, and beyond.