[Dixielandjazz] Re: Eubie Blake

David Richoux tubaman@wombat.net
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:30:16 -0700

Great thread - I only saw him in performance once, but he was amazing.

A possible new thread: Other similar singular jazz/OKOM greats that survived much of
the 20th Century you have actually met  (not just seen on stage) - musicians or
producers or whatever ( for me it has to be Danny Barker and Doc Cheatham )

Dave Richoux

on a Eubie Blake note - one of my favorite recordings he did (with Ivan Harold
Browning) is a version of "Some Little Bug" - one lyric site I found says from the
1890 but probably it was from  1915 composed by Benjamin Hapgood Burt and Roy
Atwell, but anyway:

In these days of indigestion it is oftentimes a question
As to what to eat and what to leave alone.
Every microbe and bacillus has a different way to kill us
And in time they all will claim us for their own.
There are germs of every kind in every food that you can find
In the market or upon the bill of fare.
Drinking water's just as risky as the so-called "deadly" whiskey
And it's often a mistake to breathe the air.

Cho: For some little bug is going to get you someday.
Some little bug will creep behind you some day.
Then he'll send for his bug friends
And all your troubles they will end,
For some little bug is gonna find you someday.

snip...

full lyrics at http://shorty.mudcat.org/!!-song99.cfm?stuff=fall99+D+11418542