[Dixielandjazz] Following Eubie Blake

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:55:30 EDT

--part1_11a.12e18d7e.2a49fa82_boundary

In a message dated 6/25/02 10:40:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
heist@worldnet.att.net writes:

> Hi, gang,
> This reminds me of the Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville ragtime
> "symposium" at which I was asked to perform.  The only thing they didn't
> tell me was that I was on the program AFTER Eubie Blake!  Man, talk about a
> hard act to follow!
> All my best,
> Stubby

   I don't know whtat year you were there but I was also at Southern Ill for
a Jazzz program that included Eubie Blake.  I was with Art Hodes's group
which included Jimmy McPartland and others.  I remember well that Eubie
confused and enchanted everyone when he came on.  Everyone was expecting
Eubie to open with one of this tunes or a ragtime number. Instead Eubie came
out, quietly sat down and very soflty began playing the Overture from
"Tannhauser."  It was beautiful and really turned everyone around.

   Later he was listening backstage when Cecil Tayor did a solo stint.  Cecil
Taylor is an avant-guardist who flails away at the piano and produces a bunch
of dissonant crap.  Taylor came out with appropriate rebel attire, sunglasses
and undershirt, and proceeded to offend the piano.  Eubie Blake listened for
a few minutes and then remarked, " I don't know what he calls that but we
used to call it bull s--- in Ab"

   Eubie blake...one of the all time great pianists, songwriters and
characters.

  JIm Beebe

--part1_11a.12e18d7e.2a49fa82_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/25/02 10:40:22 AM Central Daylight Time, heist@worldnet.att.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hi, gang,<BR>
This reminds me of the Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville ragtime<BR>
"symposium" at which I was asked to perform.&nbsp; The only thing they didn't<BR>
tell me was that I was on the program AFTER Eubie Blake!&nbsp; Man, talk about a<BR>
hard act to follow!<BR>
All my best,<BR>
Stubby<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't know whtat year you were there but I was also at Southern Ill for a Jazzz program that included Eubie Blake.&nbsp; I was with Art Hodes's group which included Jimmy McPartland and others.&nbsp; I remember well that Eubie confused and enchanted everyone when he came on.&nbsp; Everyone was expecting Eubie to open with one of this tunes or a ragtime number. Instead Eubie came out, quietly sat down and very soflty began playing the Overture from "Tannhauser."&nbsp; It was beautiful and really turned everyone around.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Later he was listening backstage when Cecil Tayor did a solo stint.&nbsp; Cecil Taylor is an avant-guardist who flails away at the piano and produces a bunch of dissonant crap.&nbsp; Taylor came out with appropriate rebel attire, sunglasses and undershirt, and proceeded to offend the piano.&nbsp; Eubie Blake listened for a few minutes and then remarked, " I don't know what he calls that but we used to call it bull s--- in Ab"<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Eubie blake...one of the all time great pianists, songwriters and characters.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; JIm Beebe<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></HTML>

--part1_11a.12e18d7e.2a49fa82_boundary--