[Dixielandjazz] I remember Eddie Calhoun!

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:24:21 -0500

on 6/25/02 5:29 AM, Phil O'Rourke at philor@webone.com.au wrote:

> Charlie
>
> I can go along with what Eddie was doing.
> I can remember a couple of years ago in my youth riding a motorbike through
> the middle of Canberra (Australia's capital) and thinking that I had better
> slow down or the cops would grab me. I looked at the speedo to work out how
> much I had to slow down by and saw that I was doing 25mph.
> I realised that I had better speed up; it was a 50 mph speed zone.
> It was a nice smoke though.
>
> Phil O'Rourke
> Australia

Might prove to be a great thread on the list: "Once in my youth...."

My own contribution: Jack McDaniels (fine tenor player) and I were somewhat
oversmoked after the job and trying to exit a traffic circle.  Around and
around to the left, streets and roadways flipping by like a deck of cards
under your thumb, until I said, "Uh, man...just take any one of them and get
off: we'll figure it out later."  It worked, or I'd still be there.

Maybe that same night, came to a stop at a red light at top of a hill.
Waited.  And waited.  Light never changed.  About five minutes, felt like an
hour.  Finally Jack said, "I'm gonna go investigate."  Came back a minute
later laughing so hard he could hardly get into the car.  "What's up, man?"

"It's a tail light on a Cadillac parked on the side!"  This was when
tailfins were all the style on American cars.

oh, well--
Charlie