[Dixielandjazz] Obnoxious Drunks

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:14:01 -0400

I went to a jazz club in DC last night.  Small, close quarters.
(Piano, drums, vocalist and sound system were squeezed
in at the front window area.)
The female singer had told me she hated smoke, and it was
a somewhat smokey place.  But there was one guy sitting
at the front corner of the bar, so close to the band that the
singer had to squeeze in past him and the keyboard to get to
her small spot where she could stand.  He started smoking
a cigar and blowing the smoke right into her face during her
first solo of the set.  I saw her lean close to him after her
solo and say something, and it looked like she was just asking
him nicely.  I guess it worked, because not only did he put that
out, but when he smoked a cigarette a little later, he went outside
the front door.

The group let me do a couple of solos on harmonica and also
sing Mood Indigo, on which I added mouth trumpet and a
Louis Armstrong vocal imitation.  The whole thing was
a bit embarrassing because the crowd ate it up and gave me
enthusiastic cheering, clapping and whistling for each part I did,
contrary to the clapping they did for some of the other music
solos.  Great musicians and very good singer, too.
The guy sitting at the front of the bar, came outside when I left
and gave me a $20 tip.  Go figger.  Sold 2 CDs too, to some other
people who were leaving.  One was a Japanese guy who owns a
bar in Japan (not sure exactly where) who said he'd play it in his bar.

Someone suggested that I get some concerts in Japan, that they'd
eat up what I do.

(Tom Wiggins, maybe you can help?  BTW, whatever
happened to that contact I gave you for Juanita Williams?)

--
Henry B. Stinson, BSECE, Senior Software Engineer (VB)
  Web Page Design and Quality Software Development