[Dixielandjazz] FW: 'Moderators in moderation please (was Oboe etc.)

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:11:40 +1000

Dear Henry,
Don't worry TOO much about the 'moderator' thing.
That's the way things are in life nowadays!
The following was sent to John Ding early yesterday afternoon with a copy to the
list.
It didn't get through to the list. I wonder if John got his?
A previous email a week or so back, sent the a friend AND the list, never made
it past the electronic 'moderator' either.
I guess when we send anything to the DJML, it must be first in line and NOT
Cc'd.
Kind regards,
Bill.

----------
From: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To: John Ding <roadie@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Oboe etc
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 2:03 PM

Dear John Ding,
Re your comment to me: >oboe/bassoon - Not a 100% certain but have a sneaky
feeling Tram included one or t'other in one of his recordings.<
Charles Strickfaden is listed as playing oboe on Trumbauer's "No-One Can Take
Your Place/I Like That" 30 April 1929.
I am flat out at the moment, so have yet to play it.
Rust's listing implies that this oboe may also be on the sessions from 21/22 May
and 18 Sept 1929.
I then checked 'Bix, Man & Legend'. Evans/Sudhalter confirm 30 April but do not
mention the other dates, as Bix is not present.
Evans in 'Bix' gives the oboist for the 30 April session as Chester Hazlett.
Red Mayer is shown as playing oboe with Whiteman on record dates with Bix for 5
April, 25 April and 3 May 1929.
I then decided to give up, as it is all academic and I am a bit busy.
Kind regards,
Bill.