[Dixielandjazz] MIME FORMAT MESSAGES

Andy.Ling@Quantel.Com Andy.Ling@Quantel.Com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:33:53 +0100

Steve Barbone complains :-
> When folks post messages in "MIME", below is a sample of what my Mac
> receives.

Snip....

> If it is only my machine, can someone tell me how to block the gibberish
> but still retain the regular text form?

I doubt it is only you. The only way for you to do anything about it
is to get a MIME compliant mail reader. I suspect something like
Netscape for Mac would work, but you probably don't want to change
if you like the one you've got.

> If it is not only me, but happening to others on the list, can someone
> program the list server to block the mime format?

This has been talked about before when discussing HTML. Previously
for HTML you should read "anything that's not plain text"

>  Or failing that, how
> about you folks who are posting in MIME. Could you be persuaded to post
> only in PLAIN TEXT?

I guess the only way to stop it is for people to keep complaining
(probably off-list) directly to those guilty ones.

Part of the problem is Outlook (which most people seem to use),
which doesn't allow you to change the format for different
destinations (or easily on a per message basis). This means
you have to remember to switch before you press the send button.

Sorry not to be more helpful

Andy Ling