[Dixielandjazz] 1948: jazz illustrative of barbarism

AmbassCult@aol.com AmbassCult@aol.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:44:15 EDT

--part1_180.930bfeb.2a42c5af_boundary

In a message dated 6/19/02 8:19:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

> wondering what Weaver'd have thought of Rock and Roll,
> charliehooks@earthlink.net

Well I would venture to say that Weaver would have thought about the same
since rock and Roll and Jazz and Blues all came from the same roots, early
American Black Gospel and they are all in their own seperate forms mere
evolutions.

I certainly grew up hearing very similar rantings about the music that my
generation just happened to have the most exposure to, and I wish I had a
Dollar for every time I heard that tis Rock and Roll is just a fad and it
will pass soon.

Heck I caught myself saying the same thing about Rap and now it's been with
us twenty years now, utterly frightening wouldn't you say, however in it's
defense albeit weakly, some of it is now beginning to find a melody, perhaps
in another twenty years it will evolve into music and maybe even OKOM with a
new sound.

Try doing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy as a Rap tune, with a faster tempo.

We had our chance to change the world and some of our generation did just
that in many different ways, hopefully some of the young radicals of today
will also find a way to change some things for the betterment of all.

There was a House in New Orleans they called the Rising Sun or was it SON?
It's been the ruin of many a young boy, Thank God I'm one.  So I supose that
makes me a barbarian, oh well it aint a bad life, too bad Weaver didn't
loosen up a bit and try it, he could have saved a fortune in starch on his
stuffed stiff shirts.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

You can go thru life without brains but you can't get through it without
music, an dit sure is a lot more pleasurable if the music includes a good
dose of barbaric jazz..

--part1_180.930bfeb.2a42c5af_boundary