[Dixielandjazz] Unheard-of Bands

AmbassCult@aol.com AmbassCult@aol.com
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:39:00 EDT

--part1_97.293ea78c.2a410274_boundary

Hey Dan:

Knock it off with the research me man, now you have just unearthed the deep
dark secret about OKOM bands, there are far more of them than there are
places for them to work, everybody and his brother and sister and uncle and
granddaddy who ever was a side man in a band has his own Dixieland band.

Chances are however that if you hired all of them on that list from each
city, you would get the same four or five  groups plus or minus two guys or
so.

Birds of a feather do Flock together.

The total disorganization or at best disconnection of the OKOM Jazz scene,
with the possible exception of the many little jazz societies scattered
around the globe has probably done more to destroy the industries overall
healthieness at least in the financial abilities for all of these acts to get
and maintain suitable continuous employment situations.

It is my humble opinion that these societies and perhaps even the musicians
themselves have been a great part of isolating OKOM from the mainstream of
the Jazz LIve Performance industry.

I am doing my best these days to get back into that mainstream circuit, and
hopefully it will open some doors for others who choose to follow where many
have been afraid to go.

I have also noticed that Steve Barbone has also been taking his group into
the same Jazz stratosphere even if it is on a different approach than mine
marketing wise.  With the success rate that we have been having, I am
certainly convinced that we are indeed on the right path.

In any given geographical area when someone thinks of hiring a DIXIELAND
BAND, there should certainly be one group that suddenly comes to mind when
you think of that kind of music, i.e.  Jim Cullum, Igor's Jazz Cowboys,
Barbonestreet Dixieland Jazz Band, Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band,  or
the often promoted name of any decent organized professional group in any
particular region.

This is achieved by heavy and consistent aggressive marketing practices to
keep you name out there in the public so that they think of you when they
think of OKOM music. Product Identification and Association.

Example:  When was the last time you saw Paul Newman in a new Movie?  yet you
can go to the grocery store every day and see his face repeatedly in the
pasta sauce isle and the salad dressing aisle.   Now I am not saying every
OKOM group should go that far but you get my drift.   Keep your image out
there so they don't forget you.

People have a tendency to forget your name and especially if they only get
around to hiring a Dixieland band once every four or five year or so or even
once a year sometimes is hard to remember the name of that good little group
that played at that little event last year.

End of Rant:

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

--part1_97.293ea78c.2a410274_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>
<BR>Hey Dan:
<BR>
<BR>Knock it off with the research me man, now you have just unearthed the deep dark secret about OKOM bands, there are far more of them than there are places for them to work, everybody and his brother and sister and uncle and granddaddy who ever was a side man in a band has his own Dixieland band. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Chances are however that if you hired all of them on that list from each city, you would get the same four or five &nbsp;groups plus or minus two guys or so.
<BR>
<BR>Birds of a feather do Flock together.
<BR>
<BR>The total disorganization or at best disconnection of the OKOM Jazz scene, with the possible exception of the many little jazz societies scattered around the globe has probably done more to destroy the industries overall healthieness at least in the financial abilities for all of these acts to get and maintain suitable continuous employment situations.
<BR>
<BR>It is my humble opinion that these societies and perhaps even the musicians themselves have been a great part of isolating OKOM from the mainstream of the Jazz LIve Performance industry.
<BR>
<BR>I am doing my best these days to get back into that mainstream circuit, and hopefully it will open some doors for others who choose to follow where many have been afraid to go.
<BR>
<BR>I have also noticed that Steve Barbone has also been taking his group into the same Jazz stratosphere even if it is on a different approach than mine marketing wise. &nbsp;With the success rate that we have been having, I am certainly convinced that we are indeed on the right path.
<BR>
<BR>In any given geographical area when someone thinks of hiring a DIXIELAND BAND, there should certainly be one group that suddenly comes to mind when you think of that kind of music, i.e. &nbsp;Jim Cullum, Igor's Jazz Cowboys, Barbonestreet Dixieland Jazz Band, Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band, &nbsp;or the often promoted name of any decent organized professional group in any particular region.
<BR>
<BR>This is achieved by heavy and consistent aggressive marketing practices to keep you name out there in the public so that they think of you when they think of OKOM music. Product Identification and Association.
<BR>
<BR>Example: &nbsp;When was the last time you saw Paul Newman in a new Movie? &nbsp;yet you can go to the grocery store every day and see his face repeatedly in the pasta sauce isle and the salad dressing aisle. &nbsp;&nbsp;Now I am not saying every OKOM group should go that far but you get my drift. &nbsp;&nbsp;Keep your image out there so they don't forget you.
<BR>
<BR>People have a tendency to forget your name and especially if they only get around to hiring a Dixieland band once every four or five year or so or even once a year sometimes is hard to remember the name of that good little group that played at that little event last year.
<BR>
<BR>End of Rant:
<BR>
<BR>Cheers,
<BR>
<BR>Tom Wiggins
<BR>Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band</FONT></HTML>

--part1_97.293ea78c.2a410274_boundary--