[Dixielandjazz] Deep Elm

PLadd36932@aol.com PLadd36932@aol.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:24:03 EDT

charliehooks@earthlink.net writes:

<< Also, it's   pronounced "Ellum" because of >>

There is also a very old song called `Leaning` which my father used to sing.
It tells the story of an old countryman who ` after gleaning, you`ll find me
leaning, leaning on the gate, all day.

He explains that from there he can see the grave of his old dog " Now he`s
just a mound, underneath the ellum, I reckon folks would laugh at I, if I was
to tell`em"

Again the `tell`em` used to indicate the pronunciation of `ellum`

Just thought you might like to know that,.

Cheers

Pat