[Dixielandjazz] Deep Elm

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:23:51 -0500

on 6/16/02 11:43 AM, Tommy Loy at tloy1930@gte.net wrote:

> Also, it's   pronounced "Ellum" because of
> "ebonics" and not because of a rhyming scheme of a song.
No, you're right.  I meant that in order to signal the pronounciation he
wanted, Willard rhymed it with "tell 'em, a phrase he didn't have to  use,
but did use as a signal.

Not because of "ebonics" but because many old folks born in the 19th century
pronounced it that way.  Not all did.  But I've heard my great grandmother
say it that way, and she was around a bit before "ebonics" besides being not
at all ebony.

I always remembered going out Elm street to go back to Waxahachie, but guess
after 70 years I must be wrong.  Maybe thinking of going out Elm St. in Waco
out through East Waco...anyway...

I defer to them boys as still lives there...

Charlie