[Dixielandjazz] Deep Elm

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:32:22 -0500

on 6/16/02 7:05 AM, Anton Crouch at a.crouch@unsw.edu.au wrote:

> Hello Rebecca
>
> I only know "Deep Elem Blues" as a country blues from the 1930s. Is there a
> jazz recording of it?
>
> Also, from book knowledge of course, can you confirm that Deep Elem was the
> bordello district of Dallas?
>
> Regards
> Anton

    Anton, "Deep Elm" (spelled Elm but pronounced "Ellum" to rhyme with
"Tell 'em") is not a blues, but a song written by Willard Robison, I think
sometime in the thirties, but am not sure.

    Elm St. in Dallas I am sure about.  When I was a child in Waxahachie, a
town just 35 miles south of Dallas, Elm Street was the big main street
leading south through the city on the south side of the Trinity River.
Since I was only 3 in 1932 and only 6 in 1936 when we moved, I never really
checked out the bordellos, if any, but Elm Street would have been a likely
place for them.

charliehooks@earthlink.net