[Dixielandjazz] A few more overlooked songs

Tony Davis tony@tony-davis.co.uk
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 01:28:01 +0100

Rebecca wrote:

> I like "Breeze" and don't hear it often.  Don't know who wrote it, but
Grand
> Dominion Jazz Band has it on one of their albums.
>
> Rebecca Thompson
> Flower Mound, Texas

"Breeze" is one of my very favourite songs and I play it every chance I get.
The first version I heard was recorded by Humphrey Lyttelton on a Parlophone
78 back in the 50s.  The other side was "East Coast Trot", another great
tune often overlooked.  About the same time Humph recorded the wonderful
"Jelly Bean Blues", originally sung by Ma Rainey, and another, rather more
raunchy, blues called "It Makes My Love Come Down", which we play a lot but
I don't think I've heard done by any other contemporary band.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet, Zenith Hot Stompers