FW: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Overlooked state songs for dixieland

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 19:32:28 -0500

----------
From: Dan Augustine <ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:33:11 -0500
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Overlooked state songs for dixieland

>Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:54:34 -0500
>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Overlooked state songs for dixieland
>From: Charlie Hooks <charliehooks@earthlink.net>
>on 6/7/02 9:57 AM, Dan Augustine at ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> > (I haven't heard a lot of these, but how could you go wrong with "Wackos
from Waco"?)
>    Love the title! Where can I find the words and music?
>    I'm a Waco native and would love nothing better than to attend the next
>Waco musical reunion (each year, 1st weekend in August) with a song we could
>all vouch for--more than you can know!
>    Anyone interested in attending this event, contact  Nick Klaras at
>                    <nklaras@hot.rr.com>
>Charlie
**-------------------------------------------------------------------**
Charlie--
    Yeah, i knew i'd probably be hearing from you about "Wackos from Waco".
I haven't heard the song myself, but i saw it at the website
http://www.txrebel.com/texas.html (downloadable songs about Texas in .wav
format), possibly sung by Vince Gill.  There's also a webpage called "Waco
Songs" at http://lunarpages.com/tienkuo/songs.html that includes "Branch
Davidian Homesick Blues" and others of similar ilk.  I found the page by
doing a Google search on "Waco songs" (WITH the double-quotation marks).
    I have fond memories of Waco myself, especially the bar/restaurant
called George's Big 'O' that has lots of good food and great beer prices.
In you or anyone on this list is in Waco or close to Austin (hell, Waco's
only a short 100 miles north of Austin), come one down to Austin and call me
(i'm in the book, or 475-7334 here at UT). If it's May, June, or September,
you can even sit in with the world-famous Wurst Band at Scholz's (the world
specified is, unfortunately, not Earth).

    Dan