[Dixielandjazz] Genius life - Was J Bliss

Stephen Barbone dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Wed, 05 Jun 2002 14:34:45 -0400

Don Hale wrote: (polite snip) responding to feeling sorry about genius'
who might forego a normal life to fulfill their destiny.

"Do you trade a normal life (whatever that is) if you are spending your
time doing something you can't help doing?  ...I don't know and I am not
qualified to understand or judge."

List mates & Don:

Perhaps that is the key. A "normal life" is in the eye of the beholder.
Not too different for your musical tastes vs. mine. They are both
"normal" but each of us may not like what the other person likes.

So Julian Bliss' life is normal, to him. As Monk's was normal to him. As
Glenn Gould's was normal to him, as Albert Einstein's was normal to him,
as yours is normal to you and mine is normal to me, etc. The beauty of
this life is that we are all unique. There can be no norm, only an
average of that uniqueness.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone