[Dixielandjazz] Storyville musical

Dan Augustine dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:58:37 -0500

Folks--
     Whilst at the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee i heard the Devil Mountain
Jazz Band and liked them a lot, so i bought a CD of theirs entitled
_You Asked for More!_  One of the songs on it is called "Chauncy's
Tune: Little Enough" (or usually "Little Enough"), written by Turk
Murphy.
     The liner notes say of this delightful song, "'Little Enough' was
written in 1982 by Turk Murphy for an Off-Broadway show,
_Storyville_, which had a short run in 1984.  This has become the
DMJB's most requested tune in recent years." You could have knocked
me over with a feather if you had told me that Turk wrote this
tune--it's completely different from his trombone-playing style.
     Well!  First i've heard of this musical.  Turk enthusiast that i
am, i did some Googling and found a number of other bands that do it.
I also found a site at Yale that said that Toni Morrison wrote "the
story for the musical Storyville, which is about jazz music
originating in the brothels of New Orleans."  I also found a webpage
for Kenny Ard, where it said that "1985: Co-writer, producer, musical
director, and actor in original musical, "Storyville, a Sweet
Sportin' Proposition", featuring historically accurate plot and
music."  The musical "Storyville" is also mentioned in Jim Goggin's
_Turk Murphy: Just for the Record_ (Turk says that Bill Oakley wants
to use the song "Some Other Time" in it).  Are all of these
references accurate?
     OK, that's the sum total i was able to find on Turk and this
musical.  Anyone know any more about it?  Was it ever recorded or
taped or filmed?  And where, may i be excuuuuuuused! if i continue to
ask, is the massive biography of Turk Murphy that i want to read?  On
second thought, skip it.  Instead i think i'll build myself a time
machine and go back to the late 1940's and the 1950's and experience
Turk, the Assuntos, the De Paris brothers, and all the great bands i
missed the first time around (wasn't payin' attention....).

      Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**    "In each human heart are a tiger, a pig, an ass, and a          **