[Dixielandjazz] Overlooked jazz tunes

Ron Going dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:06:07 -0500

Don Ingle wrote:

>My list:
>
>   Stomp Mr. Henry Lee.  Credited to several people but most in the know say
>that the reclusive Houston pianist Peck Kelly was the originator of it, with
>the latter support of Big T and Eddie Miller who were especially fond of the
>tune. A real "stomper" at that.
>
> Hi Don and list mates. What a neat idea.

I agree, "Stomp Mister Henry Lee" is a real stomper.  I sub now & then
with the Golden Eagles here in So. Cal . They play that and a lot more
seldom heard tunes.
Among my own long list of  seldom played (by others) anymore,  but are
played regularly by my band, Gremoli are:
"Give Me Your Telephone Number", by J.C. Higginbotham, 1930. Now there
was a T'bone player that nobody seems to mention???????
"Lady Love", by Natty Dominique, 1928. Another stomper that Johhny Dodds
tore up.
"Magnolia's Wedding Day", by Jimmy McHugh & Dorothy Fields, 1928 for
show, "Blackbirds of 1928".  Ellington had a terrific recording of that one.
All three are real stompers as are a lot more.
I'll stop there and wait to see who has what else.
Best,
Ron Going
clarinet/leader
Gremoli