[Dixielandjazz] Re: Coronation

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:53:39 EDT

--part1_2d.1e1ecdaf.2a2da1d3_boundary

In a message dated 6/3/02 6:09:22 PM Central Daylight Time, Jazzjerry@aol.com
writes:

> Well in spite of all the adverse pre-judgements I have just finished
> watching
> the 'Pop Party in The Palace' and it was an event at which I wish I had
> been!
> The British ageing rockers performed excellently and I still find that Joe
> Cocker's rendition of 'With A little Help From My Friends' is great and the
>
> music of Queen is exciting. Given the format of the evening probably on the
>
> Count Basie Orchestra at full belt would have been able to compete were
> jazz
> involved at all! The American contributions came from Tony Bennett, Brian
> Wilson and Kermit the Frog.
>
> The backing band which consisted of the Royal College of Music Symphony
> Orchestra plus various top notch session musicians led by Phil Collins on
> drums did an excellent job backing all sorts of pop music from the last
> fifty
> years. The staging by the BBC with production by Sir George Martin was as
> spectacular as it should have been and as far as I could see the whole
> thing
> went off without a hitch which given the number of performers all lined up
> perform one song one after the other was nothing short of a miracle. A
> crowd
> of 12,000 attended to event in the Buck House grounds and it is estimated
> that around one million others were outside the Palace in nearby parks.
>
> The evening finished with what must have been the most spectacular firwork
> and light show with music that London must have even seen. Interesting use
> of
> music starting with Bill Haley and Elvis and finishing with Handel's Royal
> Firework Music.
>
> When us Brits organise a party we sure do know how to do it!
>
> Musical content - Plenty - but not of the DJML type!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jerry,
> Norwich,
> U.K.

   We haven't seen that one here in the colonies. The classical concert was
superb.   I was hoping to see a parade with lots of military bands and Pomp
and Circumstance,

   JIm beebe

--part1_2d.1e1ecdaf.2a2da1d3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/3/02 6:09:22 PM Central Daylight Time, Jazzjerry@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Well in spite of all the adverse pre-judgements I have just finished watching <BR>
the 'Pop Party in The Palace' and it was an event at which I wish I had been! <BR>
The British ageing rockers performed excellently and I still find that Joe <BR>
Cocker's rendition of 'With A little Help From My Friends' is great and the <BR>
music of Queen is exciting. Given the format of the evening probably on the <BR>
Count Basie Orchestra at full belt would have been able to compete were jazz <BR>
involved at all! The American contributions came from Tony Bennett, Brian <BR>
Wilson and Kermit the Frog.<BR>
<BR>
The backing band which consisted of the Royal College of Music Symphony <BR>
Orchestra plus various top notch session musicians led by Phil Collins on <BR>
drums did an excellent job backing all sorts of pop music from the last fifty <BR>
years. The staging by the BBC with production by Sir George Martin was as <BR>
spectacular as it should have been and as far as I could see the whole thing <BR>
went off without a hitch which given the number of performers all lined up to <BR>
perform one song one after the other was nothing short of a miracle. A crowd <BR>
of 12,000 attended to event in the Buck House grounds and it is estimated <BR>
that around one million others were outside the Palace in nearby parks.<BR>
<BR>
The evening finished with what must have been the most spectacular firwork <BR>
and light show with music that London must have even seen. Interesting use of <BR>
music starting with Bill Haley and Elvis and finishing with Handel's Royal <BR>
Firework Music.<BR>
<BR>
When us Brits organise a party we sure do know how to do it!<BR>
<BR>
Musical content - Plenty - but not of the DJML type!<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Jerry,<BR>
Norwich,<BR>
U.K.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; We haven't seen that one here in the colonies. The classical concert was superb.&nbsp;&nbsp; I was hoping to see a parade with lots of military bands and Pomp and Circumstance,<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; JIm beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_2d.1e1ecdaf.2a2da1d3_boundary--