[Dixielandjazz] chops

James Kashishian dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:40:33 +0200

It finally happened!  Last nite, on the last note of the last song of
our first set I used my horn to give the cue to the drummer (a sub) that
we were ending, and suddenly felt a terrible pain in my face.  When I
opened my eyes my slide was before me on the floor, my face was painful
& gushing blood!  I had hit a stool with my slide (it is never, ever
there in that spot), and my mouthpiece had gone right through my lip!!
First thing I did was recover my slide (still don't know how it left my
hand?), and made sure it was ok.  Great....no damage whatsoever.  Told
the audience we were going to take a short break, trying not to bleed
too much on the microphone, and made a bee-line to the toilet.

A half hour of ice, and we were back on, but I was the resident singer &
presenter only.  Today, I've got swollen chops, a bandage across my
face, and hoping to be back in shape for next Thursday's gig.  It's a
swank hotel, and we play acoustic & quiet, so I just might get away with
it!  Drag!

Jim