Albert clarinet [was: [Dixielandjazz] Another one gone

David W. Littlefield dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:32:57 -0400

I played in a trad band specializing in Oliver '23, Hot 5/7, etc.
Clarinetist transcribed and studied Dodds solos, switched to Albert system,
to give the band a really authentic sound. He said that the fingering made
possible (or perhaps necessitated) (or perhaps had a "natural" stylistic)
"percussiveness" not attainable on the Boehm system. He said he'd been
trying to emulate that feature in Dodds' playing, and it took him a while
to conclude that it probably was the fingering system, which switching to
Albert confirmed.

Whatever it was, playing with this guy for several years sensitized me to
Dodds, so when JRT Davies CDs made the Olivers listenable, I came to
appreciate Dodds greatly, if not fully *enjoy* his style.

--Sheik