[Dixielandjazz] Learning after 50

John Farrell dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 06:34:05 +0100

According to Rebecca Thompson

 "After age 50, some things take longer to learn."

I left my 50th birthday behind me some years ago and since then have had no
problem with learning those things which I want to learn. My difficulty
comes in remembering them (for instance the changes of "All The Things You
Are") .   .   . How the devil do concert pianists commit to memory all those
lengthy concertos note-for-note? There must be a trick to it - I wouldn't be
able to tell you what I had for lunch yesterday.

Here in England we have an expression "Old Git" (which equates to the
transatlantic Old Fogey) which I notice is becoming increasingly popular
with my kids when they  visit me. Usually they tack "Grumpy" in front of it.

At least I have learned how to get off this list (I wonder if Bob Grinstead
is related to that splendid pianist Dan Grinstead of Seattle?).

John Farrell
stridepiano@tesco.net