[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Concert Review - Barbone Street

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:48:17 -0500

on 7/31/02 11:17 AM, Robert S. Ringwald at ringwald@calweb.com wrote:

> The band may look better visually to the audience if they display a lot of
>> energy but, energy does not necessarily make musicianship or talent.

    Bob is right: energy does not make musicianship.  But that wasn't the
question.  Question was, difference between a good band and a great band.
And it's here I have to go with Rebecca.  Assuming the same general talent
level, the band that projects energy will be approved 2 to 1 over the band
that's just laid back, whether the audience is the musicians themselves
listening to playback in the studio, or the audience at a concert.  Too bad,
maybe?  True, nonetheless.

    Musicians are, like it or not, entertainers; and people are pleased by
energy projected onto them.  I think this comes through even in studio
recordings: when the energy levels are high, the danged music just sounds
better; and when you get tired, you just don't play as well.  It's not some
false perception that the audience gets by watching monkeys jump around;
it's a genuine energy-projection that is either there or not there.

    I don't think Rebecca meant a "display" of energy as much as a
"projection" of energy, however accomplished.  It's possible to fake an
energy level that actually turns audiences off!  Too much horsing around and
the equine excrementa starts to smell.

    I think Bob and Rebecca are both right, depending on difinitions.

Charlie