[Dixielandjazz] Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers Reissue

SonsofRosy@aol.com SonsofRosy@aol.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:18:37 EDT

--part1_2d.20f13da2.2a7959cd_boundary

Hi, folks.  Dan Levinson here.  I am looking for somebody to write liner
notes for a CD reissue of Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers.  The CD will include the
complete recordings of the band for the Jump and Audiophile labels, made in
1952 and 1956.  Do any of you know someone who is familiar with these classic
recordings, and would be interested in writing about them?  I need notes on
the music only, as I will provide bios of the musicians.

Thanks to the help of many of you who responded to my email several months
ago, I have been able to piece together a lot of information about the
musicians.  A visit to Local 47 in L.A. gave me the birth and death dates and
places of all the musicians.  Bob Taber sent me a copy of the Mississippi Rag
from about 20 years ago that featured an article on Bob Higgins.  Bob
Ringwald, Lowell Busch, Don Ingle, Gene Mayl, and others have shared their
memories of the musicians whom they knew, and I thank you all emphatically.
Most of us knew Rosy, and there is plenty of information on him, and I have
been in touch with drummer George Defebaugh's widow and former colleague Jim
Coleman, Sr., so I have enough on info on him.  But I am still in need on
more info on some of the other players.  Pianist Earle Sturgis is the tough
one, as he committed suicide in 1956.  I also know next to nothing about
Sturgis' replacement, Don Owens.  Rink Leslie might as well not have existed
because nobody seems to know anything about her or what happened to her.  Ah,
to spend another ten minutes with Rosy......

There must be a way to find out about these elusive figures, and I elicit
your suggestions.  I am a little better stocked on Moe Schneider and Joe
Rushton info, but I'm sure I could find still more.  I am particularly
interested in dates, years, credits, and other specifics.  Following is what
I have on the players for whom I seek more information, and I would
appreciate any additional information or suggestions you can provide.

ELMER "MOE" SCHNEIDER  trombone
Moe Schneider was born in Bessie, Oklahoma on December 24, 1919.  After
moving to Southern California, he quickly became one of the primary exponents
of the West Coast "Dixieland" scene which emerged in the late 40's.  In
addition to being a member of Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers, he recorded and
performed with Ben Pollack's Pick-a-Rib Boys, Bob Crosby's Bobcats, and
Alvino Rey and His Orchestra.  Schneider is most remembered for his role as
the trombonist on the "Pete Kelly's Blues" radio show and film soundtrack,
and on subsequent recordings of "Pete Kelly's Big Seven" that were made in
response to the film's phenomenal success.  Moe Schneider died on February
20, 1970.

EARLE STURGIS  piano
Earle Sturgis was born in Webb City, Missouri on October 4, 1910.  Before
joining the Ragtimers, he performed with the bands of Skinnay Ennis and Stan
Kenton.  He committed suicide on April 16, 1956.

DON OWENS  piano
Don Owens was born in Watseka, Illinois on April 18, 1912.  He also performed
with Pete Daily's Chicagoans.  In later years, he lived in Bodfish,
California.  He died on June 8, 1988.

RAY LEATHERWOOD  bass
Born in Itasca, Texas on April 24, 1914, Leatherwood played with Bob Chester
and His Orchestra, the Jack Teagarden Sextet, Julie London, Matt Dennis, and
was a longtime member of Les Brown's band.  He did at least twenty Bob Hope
Christmas tours to military bases around the world.  Leatherwood did not work
regularly with Rosy's band, but was added for recording sessions and for the
"Dixie Showboat" television show.  In later years, he lived in Camarillo,
California, and ran an aircraft supply company in Van Nuys.  He died on
January 29, 1996.

JOE RUSHTON  bass saxophone
Rushton was born in Evanston, Illinois on April 19, 1907, the son of a
wealthy stock and bond broker who later lost most of his money in the stock
market crash.  Rushton and Rosy knew each other as early as the 1930's when
they were both regular guests at Squirrel Ashcraft's infamous jam sessions in
Chigago.  During a prolific career, Rushton performed with the bands of Jimmy
McPartland, Benny Goodman, and Horace Heidt.  He was featured prominently on
the Jump label, playing both clarinet and bass saxophone, with numerous bands
including his own Rushton's California Ramblers, as well as with Lavere's
Chicago Loopers.  He was not a regular member of Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers,
nor was he on Rosy's 1952 session for Jump, but was added for one of the
Audiophile sessions in 1956.  Rushton is probably best remembered for the
distinctive sound his solid bass saxophone gave Red Nichols' Five Pennies in
the 1950's.  Joe Rushton died on March 2, 1964.

RINK LESLIE  vocal
Girlfriend of producer of "Dixie Showboat"

--part1_2d.20f13da2.2a7959cd_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Hi, folks.&nbsp; Dan Levinson here.&nbsp; I am looking for somebody to write liner notes for a CD reissue of Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers.&nbsp; The CD will include the complete recordings of the band for the Jump and Audiophile labels, made in 1952 and 1956.&nbsp; Do any of you know someone who is familiar with these classic recordings, and would be interested in writing about them?&nbsp; I need notes on the music only, as I will provide bios of the musicians.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks to the help of many of you who responded to my email several months ago, I have been able to piece together a lot of information about the musicians.&nbsp; A visit to Local 47 in L.A. gave me the birth and death dates and places of all the musicians.&nbsp; Bob Taber sent me a copy of the Mississippi Rag from about 20 years ago that featured an article on Bob Higgins.&nbsp; Bob Ringwald, Lowell Busch, Don Ingle, Gene Mayl, and others have shared their memories of the musicians whom they knew, and I thank you all emphatically.&nbsp; Most of us knew Rosy, and there is plenty of information on him, and I have been in touch with drummer George Defebaugh's widow and former colleague Jim Coleman, Sr., so I have enough on info on him.&nbsp; But I am still in need on more info on some of the other players.&nbsp; Pianist Earle Sturgis is the tough one, as he committed suicide in 1956.&nbsp; I also know next to nothing about Sturgis' replacement, Don Owens.&nbsp; Rink Leslie might as well not have existed because nobody seems to know anything about her or what happened to her.&nbsp; Ah, to spend another ten minutes with Rosy......&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
There must be a way to find out about these elusive figures, and I elicit your suggestions.&nbsp; I am a little better stocked on Moe Schneider and Joe Rushton info, but I'm sure I could find still more.&nbsp; I am particularly interested in dates, years, credits, and other specifics.&nbsp; Following is what I have on the players for whom I seek more information, and I would appreciate any additional information or suggestions you can provide.<BR>
<BR>
ELMER "MOE" SCHNEIDER&nbsp; trombone<BR>
Moe Schneider was born in Bessie, Oklahoma on December 24, 1919.&nbsp; After moving to Southern California, he quickly became one of the primary exponents of the West Coast "Dixieland" scene which emerged in the late 40's.&nbsp; In addition to being a member of Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers, he recorded and performed with Ben Pollack's Pick-a-Rib Boys, Bob Crosby's Bobcats, and Alvino Rey and His Orchestra.&nbsp; Schneider is most remembered for his role as the trombonist on the "Pete Kelly's Blues" radio show and film soundtrack, and on subsequent recordings of "Pete Kelly's Big Seven" that were made in response to the film's phenomenal success.&nbsp; Moe Schneider died on February 20, 1970.<BR>
<BR>
EARLE STURGIS&nbsp; piano<BR>
Earle Sturgis was born in Webb City, Missouri on October 4, 1910.&nbsp; Before joining the Ragtimers, he performed with the bands of Skinnay Ennis and Stan Kenton.&nbsp; He committed suicide on April 16, 1956.<BR>
<BR>
DON OWENS&nbsp; piano<BR>
Don Owens was born in Watseka, Illinois on April 18, 1912.&nbsp; He also performed with Pete Daily's Chicagoans.&nbsp; In later years, he lived in Bodfish, California.&nbsp; He died on June 8, 1988.<BR>
<BR>
RAY LEATHERWOOD&nbsp; bass<BR>
Born in Itasca, Texas on April 24, 1914, Leatherwood played with Bob Chester and His Orchestra, the Jack Teagarden Sextet, Julie London, Matt Dennis, and was a longtime member of Les Brown's band.&nbsp; He did at least twenty Bob Hope Christmas tours to military bases around the world.&nbsp; Leatherwood did not work regularly with Rosy's band, but was added for recording sessions and for the "Dixie Showboat" television show.&nbsp; In later years, he lived in Camarillo, California, and ran an aircraft supply company in Van Nuys.&nbsp; He died on January 29, 1996.<BR>
<BR>
JOE RUSHTON&nbsp; bass saxophone<BR>
Rushton was born in Evanston, Illinois on April 19, 1907, the son of a wealthy stock and bond broker who later lost most of his money in the stock market crash.&nbsp; Rushton and Rosy knew each other as early as the 1930's when they were both regular guests at Squirrel Ashcraft's infamous jam sessions in Chigago.&nbsp; During a prolific career, Rushton performed with the bands of Jimmy McPartland, Benny Goodman, and Horace Heidt.&nbsp; He was featured prominently on the Jump label, playing both clarinet and bass saxophone, with numerous bands including his own Rushton's California Ramblers, as well as with Lavere's Chicago Loopers.&nbsp; He was not a regular member of Rosy McHargue's Ragtimers, nor was he on Rosy's 1952 session for Jump, but was added for one of the Audiophile sessions in 1956.&nbsp; Rushton is probably best remembered for the distinctive sound his solid bass saxophone gave Red Nichols' Five Pennies in the 1950's.&nbsp; Joe Rushton died on March 2, 1964.<BR>
<BR>
RINK LESLIE&nbsp; vocal<BR>
Girlfriend of producer of "Dixie Showboat"</FONT></HTML>

--part1_2d.20f13da2.2a7959cd_boundary--