[Dixielandjazz] Re: reality/truth

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:26:52 +0000

Hi Gordon,

>How do we verbalize or mathetically describe a "time warp" having never
>experienced it or have no awareness of it.... how do we describe the fact
>that a lost animal can find it's way home from many many miles away... how
>can we describe how the birds return to capistrano... or fly the same route
>south each year?

They just do. By the way, Airplanes on autiopilot can find there way to
distant airports and not one of your five senses can perceive the means by
which this is accomplished.

Our cat is a preditor . . . she proudly brings mice to us which she has
caught. We got her as a kitten and no other cat or human has imparted this
skill to her. She just does it!

The fact that we don't understand or perceive such things is undeniable. We
don't understand.

Since we don't understand, how can we come up with elaborate theories about
UFOs and life on other planets when we have ZERO evidence of such things.

In the scientific method we observe things over and over and many observers
report seeing the same thing. Then we test the phenomenon in a wide variety
of ways and finally we come up with a tentative explanation of the
phenomenon which we tentatively accept until we encounter some exception to
the explanation in which case we go back to more testing.

In the speculation method we assume unobserved things exist and then we go
about trying to prove their existence. That is just plan foolishness and is
completely unrelated to scientific methodology.

That's also something to think about.

Love your post and even though it's not "jazz" exactly I can think of any
number of relationships to music via this thread.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "I'll believe it when I see it" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com