[Dixielandjazz] Re: Buddy Bolden Place

D and R Hardie darnhard@ozemail.com.au
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:28:39 +1000

--------------E238690D1AB6EE772B694DE5

Dear Rebecca,

I thought you and other listmembers might like to
see the reply I got from Ms Ferguson about Buddy
Bolden Place:

"For the past few years, Save Our Cemeteries has
been working at Holt cleaning, redoing the fence,
repairing the building, etc. We are trying to
raise an awareness in the community about who is
buried there to encourage a better respect for the
site.  The idea was proposed to change the name of
a one block street that leads to the cemetery in
Mr. Bolden's honor.  One of our Board members
submitted the request to city council and it was
approved.  The event involved the unveiling of the
sign.  The Holiday Inn (who has a room named after
Mr. Bolden) sponsored the food.  Delgado College
spoke a few words as did Don Marquis.

The sign is on City Park Avenue and gets lots of
exposure, so I hope that it will develop interest
in not only the cemetery, but also Buddy Bolden."
 You might look up the sign. Is a photo possible?

Best wishes
Dan Hardie

Check out the web
pages:http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazz.html

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/BuddyBolden.html

thompson wrote:

> Evidently a while back there was a ceremony and
> tombstone erected at the
> "potter's field" cemetery.  I have a friend I
> have corresponded with who
> said he missed it.
>
> The marker is near the entrance, so we may be
> able to drive by while there
> next weekend.
>
> Specifically what kind of information do you
> want about his grave?
>
> Rebecca

--------------E238690D1AB6EE772B694DE5

<HTML>
<BODY TEXT="#000000" BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" LINK="#E10F18" VLINK="#F87AC4" ALINK="#FB5252">
<FONT FACE="Arial">Dear Rebecca,</FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"></FONT>

<P><FONT FACE="Bookman">I thought you and other listmembers might like
to see the reply I got from Ms Ferguson about Buddy Bolden Place:</FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"></FONT>

<P><FONT FACE="Arial">"For the past few years, Save Our Cemeteries has
been working at Holt cleaning, redoing the fence, repairing the building,
etc.</FONT> <FONT FACE="Arial">We are trying to raise an awareness in the
community about who is buried there to encourage a better respect for the
site.  The idea was proposed to change the name of a one block street that
leads to the cemetery in Mr. Bolden's honor.  One of our Board members
submitted the request to city council and it was approved.  The event involved
the unveiling of the sign.  The Holiday Inn (who has a room named after
Mr. Bolden) sponsored the food.  Delgado College spoke a few words as did
Don Marquis.</FONT><FONT FACE="Arial"></FONT>

<P><FONT FACE="Arial">The sign is on City Park Avenue and gets lots of
exposure, so I hope that it will develop interest in not only the cemetery,
but also Buddy Bolden."</FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial"></FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=+1>You might look up the
sign. Is a photo possible?</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Best wishes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=+1>Dan Hardie</FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1>Check out the web pages:</FONT><FONT SIZE=+1><A HREF="http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazz.html">http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazz.html</A></FONT><FONT SIZE=+1></FONT>

<P><FONT SIZE=+1><A HREF="http://www.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/BuddyBolden.html">http://www.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/BuddyBolden.html</A></FONT>
<BR>
<BR>thompson wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Evidently a while back there was a ceremony and tombstone
erected at the
<BR>"potter's field" cemetery.&nbsp; I have a friend I have corresponded
with who
<BR>said he missed it.

<P>The marker is near the entrance, so we may be able to drive by while
there
<BR>next weekend.

<P>Specifically what kind of information do you want about his grave?

<P>Rebecca</BLOCKQUOTE>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------E238690D1AB6EE772B694DE5--