[Dixielandjazz] Scotland visit

Bill Gunter jazzboard@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:22:26 +0000

Hi all,

Found an internet cafe near the hotel here in Edinburgh and so I'm sending
greetings around to the folks back home.

We're having great fun playing at this festival . . . yesterday we had an
audience of about 4,000 at one of the outdoor venues in the Princes Street
Gardens. That's the most people I've ever seen in any or our audiences!

Fish and chips are pretty good in this neighborhood along with the lagers,
ales and single malts!

Day before yesterday was the start of the festival and they put us on the
open top deck of one of those red busses and drove us around town and the
band played for passers by. If we had a hat to pass we probably could have
picked up a few bob!

Last night we played at a 5 star hotel in St. Andrews (near the Old Course)
and they put us up free overnight (the normal room cost runs about £250)!  I
doubt we were worth it but we had a wonderful time!

The  food is pretty good but I'm not to sure of that stuff they call
'haggis" - Perhaps the honorable Scot Don Ingle can enlighten me on just
what that stuff is.

Love to all of you and I just wanted you all to know that Jazz is alive and
well here north of Hadrian's wall!

Bill "I'll just have a wee dram" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com