[Dixielandjazz] Great gigs - was electric contrabass

PLadd36932@aol.com PLadd36932@aol.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:47:30 EDT

<< We flew to the Mediterranean Island of Mallorca yesterday for a gig. "
 And then described the ideal gig.>>

Voila! Cest moi. just returned from from a 2500 mile jaunt around France. Not
the story of a great gig but in Colliore, a very small town near Perpignan,
close to the Spanish /French border there was music around every night.
Some were merely a duet, keyboard and clarinet. These had a good routine.They
performed expertly, very expertly in some cases ouside a cafe.They would play
3 numbers, usually very fast to show off their nimble fingers, collect and
move on. Consequently I never heard any of them play anything but their 3
chosen pieces. Mayhap that was all they could play. Very neat.
However there was something approaching a `town band` and these I only heard
once .They also played everything at double speed but the band consisted of,
wait for it,  Bass trombone,  `normal` trombone, tenor sax,euphonium,trumpet,
another brass wind instrument like a squashed up french horn,a massive brass,
wind bass, drums. Some line up you will agree, except that there was TWO of
everything.Including the drums. Incredible! Oh, and a banjo.
 Another group performing in the town square one night consisted of three
girl singers, one of whom was no mean guitar player, a bass player, very
good, a drummer, snare, hi hat and brushes only, also perfectly adequate. The
style was a sort of `Peggy Lee meets the Andrews Sisters` The set started
with a red hot version of  Flat foot Floogie and went on through House of
Blue lights and dozens of other Jazz/swing numbers. The harmony work was
super and the guitar and bass players took good solos. Nothing improvised I
think, it was all too neat but a marvellous performance.They did a set of
about 2 hours with hardly a break except for applause and then did a 15
minute reprise in response to calls for an encore.
All this on a stage under the stars, a warm evening, facing half a dozen
`sidewalk` cafes and a standing crowd of  three hundred or so. Magic!
Enhanced also by the fact that it was all free,  paid for by some arts group.

Apart from temperatures of 42 for a couple of days in Andorra which was a bit
uncomfortable we enjoyed great weather with general temps. in the 30`s. A sea
change seems to overcome the French. We found them charming, polite, patient
when my French speech didn`t come out the way I meant it. Even a cheerful
Bonjour and Bon voyage from the girls collecting money in the booths on the
Auto routes. They must be up to something.

Nice to be back.

Pat