[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz obit.

garriott wallbridge garwall@sedona.net
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:17:19 -0700

Listmates,
   It looks like we fans of Dixieland/Classic/Trad Jazz have taken it in the
shorts again.
   Yesterday Directv/Music Choice (satellite) quit broadcasting Trad Jazz
and according to the gal I spoke to at the 800#, it is to be permanent.
   Back in 1996 when I first signed up for Music Choice they had one channel
that was dedicated 24/7 to Dixieland. When it passed away it was reduced to
two hours in the morning with the rest consisting of Bluegrass. Obviously
some idiot thought Bluegrass WAS Dixieland. The channel was called American
Original.
   When one attempts to locate Traditional jazz on the internet stations it
is a lost cause.
   What Steve and Bob are doing seems to be the only way the younger
generation will ever hear what truly beautiful jazz really is. To me what
passes for jazz these days is no better than what passes for Music coming
from the "garage" bands. Now if you are really looking for true
"improvisation" look no further.
   Anyway you cut it things could look a whole lot better.
  Take care!      Gary Wallbridge