[Dixielandjazz] FW: Thanks Jim!

Charlie Hooks charliehooks@earthlink.net
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:51:18 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3110629878_5063006_MIME_Part

My wifre, Lornetta, asked me to post this note on the list for her.
Charlie

----------
From: LORNETTA HOOKS <lornettah@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:30:16 -0500
To: Charlie Hooks <charliehooks@earthlink.net>
Subject: Thanks Jim!

My husband, Charlie Hooks, forwarded a couple of paragraphs to me that Jim
Beebe posted on the Dixielandjazz list regarding band wives.  Wow! It's
wonderful to see the women behind scenes receiving recognition from the
group. Thanks for the kind words Jim!

I really do feel that I've been lucky and blessed to be a band wife.  I wil=
admit (as any band wife knows) that there are times when it is NOT easy to
be such.  However, the positive side is incredibly rich!  The role of band
wife has helped me access a world of music and musicians that I might never
otherwise have known.  The conversations during gigs, between sets, over th=
phone, etc. offered invaluable information and knowledge.  Quite a bonus fo=
an educator / player.  I've learned SO MUCH from so many fine players.
They've shaped me into a better player.... Got a long way to go, but I've
certainly grown with the "help from my friends"...

I owe a huge debt to the "Gigging World" and it's members.    There were
numerous times when players would help out with a student, giving them
private lessons, etc.  I remember some pretty wonderful benefit concerts fo=
student scholarships and uniforms, etc.  Players like Barrett Deems, Jim
Beebe, Joe Johnson, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Hank, Steve Jensen, Tom Hope, Rusty
Jones, etc. would come out to my school, DONATE their time and talent, play
for the kids and present workshops.  What a wonderful gift!!!  These kids
will never forget what they received during these workshops.  Jim Beebe
helped spearhead these events.  I'll never forget how quickly he responded
to a conversation that I had with Barrett Deems during a "Jazz at Five" gig
down at Andy's.  In his unique, growly voice, Barrett said, "If you get the
rest of the band, I'll come out to your school and put on a concert and dru=
workshop for your kids.  They need to hear REAL players!"  Well, I couldn't
agree more.  During the next break, I mentioned this to Charlie and Jim.
Jim immediately responded with, "Yeah, let's do it!"  I scheduled a date,
Jim scheduled the band and I invited all the neighboring schools =8A what a
treat!  Jim did this more than once for my band program.  Band guys are the
BEST and Jim tops the pack!  As I said, I am indebted to this group.

There is one player to whom I am most indebted, my husband, Charlie Hooks.
He has been amazing supportive during our 20 years of marriage.  He's
encouraged me, critiqued and praised my playing, corrected my errors both i=
music and grammar (English teachers NEVER die!), played innumerable
workshops, concerts, etc for my kids and let me "tag" along on his gigs.  H=
even plays in a church group that I direct...THANK YOU, GOD!  Like I said
earlier, I am blessed!

I=B9d like to lift a toast and many thanks to all the players like Charlie an=
Jim who are so talented and generous!  Not everyone is so willing to open
doors to young players and/ or the band wives!

A Happy Band Wife,
Lornetta Hooks

--MS_Mac_OE_3110629878_5063006_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>FW: Thanks Jim!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
My wifre, Lornetta, asked me to post this note on the list for her.<BR>
Charlie<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
----------<BR>
<B>From: </B>LORNETTA HOOKS &lt;lornettah@earthlink.net&gt;<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Sat, 27 Jul 2002 15:30:16 -0500<BR>
<B>To: </B>Charlie Hooks &lt;charliehooks@earthlink.net&gt;<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>Thanks Jim!<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">My husband, Charlie Hooks, forwarded a couple =
of paragraphs to me that Jim Beebe posted on the Dixielandjazz list regardin=
g band wives. &nbsp;Wow! It's wonderful to see the women behind scenes recei=
ving recognition from the group. Thanks for the kind words Jim!<BR>
<BR>
I really do feel that I've been lucky and blessed to be a band wife. &nbsp;=
I will admit (as any band wife knows) that there are times when it is NOT ea=
sy to be such. &nbsp;However, the positive side is incredibly rich! &nbsp;Th=
e role of band wife has helped me access a world of music and musicians that=
 I might never otherwise have known. &nbsp;The conversations during gigs, be=
tween sets, over the phone, etc. offered invaluable information and knowledg=
e. &nbsp;Quite a bonus for an educator / player. &nbsp;I've learned SO MUCH =
from so many fine players. &nbsp;They've shaped me into a better player.... =
Got a long way to go, but I've certainly grown with the &quot;help from my f=
riends&quot;...<BR>
<BR>
I owe a huge debt to the &quot;Gigging World&quot; and it's members. &nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;There were numerous times when players would help out with a stu=
dent, giving them private lessons, etc. &nbsp;I remember some pretty wonderf=
ul benefit concerts for student scholarships and uniforms, etc. &nbsp;Player=
s like Barrett Deems, Jim Beebe, Joe Johnson, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Hank, Stev=
e Jensen, Tom Hope, Rusty Jones, etc. would come out to my school, DONATE th=
eir time and talent, play for the kids and present workshops. &nbsp;What a w=
onderful gift!!! &nbsp;These kids will never forget what they received durin=
g these workshops. &nbsp;Jim Beebe helped spearhead these events. &nbsp;I'll=
 never forget how quickly he responded to a conversation that I had with Bar=
rett Deems during a &quot;Jazz at Five&quot; gig down at Andy's. &nbsp;In hi=
s unique, growly voice, Barrett said, &quot;If you get the rest of the band,=
 I'll come out to your school and put on a concert and drum workshop for you=
r kids. &nbsp;They need to hear REAL players!&quot;</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times"=
> &nbsp;</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Well, I couldn't agree more. &nb=
sp;During the next break, I mentioned this to Charlie and Jim. &nbsp;Jim imm=
ediately responded with, &quot;Yeah, let's do it!&quot; &nbsp;I scheduled a =
date, Jim scheduled the band and I invited all the neighboring schools =8A wha=
t a treat! &nbsp;Jim did this more than once for my band program. &nbsp;Band=
 guys are the BEST and Jim tops the pack! &nbsp;As I said, I am indebted to =
this group. <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
There is one player to whom I am most indebted, my husband, Charlie Hooks. =
&nbsp;He has been amazing supportive during our 20 years of marriage. &nbsp;=
He's encouraged me, critiqued and praised my playing, corrected my errors bo=
th in music and grammar (English teachers NEVER die!), played innumerable wo=
rkshops, concerts, etc for my kids and let me &quot;tag&quot; along on his g=
igs. &nbsp;He even plays in a church group that I direct...THANK YOU, GOD! &=
nbsp;Like I said earlier, I am blessed!<BR>
<BR>
I=B9d like to lift a toast and many thanks to all the players like Charlie an=
d Jim who are so talented and generous! &nbsp;Not everyone is so willing to =
open doors to young players and/ or the band wives! <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
A Happy Band Wife,<BR>
Lornetta Hooks<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3110629878_5063006_MIME_Part--