[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:59:06 EDT

--part1_192.a6dd762.2a72cbca_boundary

In a message dated 7/26/02 9:38:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:

> --
>     OK, i give up.  I'm lazy.  I liked watching the movie "The Gig", and it
> kind of whetted my appetite for movies with dixieland/OKOM bands in them.
> I'm not all that interested in movies with big bands (Duke Ellington,
> etc.), just movies (either fiction or documentaries) of OKOM.
>     Anybody know of any lists on the internet or in books i could look at?
> I just discovered that Turk Murphy's band played in (and he appeared in)
> the movie called "Alabama's Ghost", which apparently is some kind of
> horror-flick.  And i know about "Pete Kelly's Blues", "New Orleans", and
> the Woody Allen films, plus some documentaries with/of Louis Armstrong.
> Plus, of course, there are the films of performances from various festivals
> over the years.
>     But what i'm thinking of is mainly movies that have dixieland bands
> playing and/or appearing in them.  I'd love to see the Assunto Dukes, for
> example, but have never heard of their being in a movie.
>     Any info out there?  Thanks.
>
>     Dan

     Dan, you might want to pick up the recently reissued on video movie, "
New Orleans."  Louis Armstrong is in it and his band includes, KId Ory,
Barney Bigard, Zutty Singleton and other greats.  also Billie Holiday.  It
has a hokey but fun plot and lots of great Dixieland jazz.  A classic to
have.  This movie turned me on to this music when I was a kid in the late
40s.

    I got it from Gene Mayl who is a Lister and sells classic jazz films and
recordings.  Gene...what is your website address and your phone number etc?

   Jim Beebe

--part1_192.a6dd762.2a72cbca_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/26/02 9:38:42 AM Central Daylight Time, ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">--<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; OK, i give up.&nbsp; I'm lazy.&nbsp; I liked watching the movie "The Gig", and it kind of whetted my appetite for movies with dixieland/OKOM bands in them.&nbsp; I'm not all that interested in movies with big bands (Duke Ellington, etc.), just movies (either fiction or documentaries) of OKOM.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anybody know of any lists on the internet or in books i could look at?&nbsp; I just discovered that Turk Murphy's band played in (and he appeared in) the movie called "Alabama's Ghost", which apparently is some kind of horror-flick.&nbsp; And i know about "Pete Kelly's Blues", "New Orleans", and the Woody Allen films, plus some documentaries with/of Louis Armstrong.&nbsp; Plus, of course, there are the films of performances from various festivals over the years.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But what i'm thinking of is mainly movies that have dixieland bands playing and/or appearing in them.&nbsp; I'd love to see the Assunto Dukes, for example, but have never heard of their being in a movie.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Any info out there?&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dan</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dan, you might want to pick up the recently reissued on video movie, " New Orleans."&nbsp; Louis Armstrong is in it and his band includes, KId Ory, Barney Bigard, Zutty Singleton and other greats.&nbsp; also Billie Holiday.&nbsp; It has a hokey but fun plot and lots of great Dixieland jazz.&nbsp; A classic to have.&nbsp; This movie turned me on to this music when I was a kid in the late 40s.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I got it from Gene Mayl who is a Lister and sells classic jazz films and recordings.&nbsp; Gene...what is your website address and your phone number etc?<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_192.a6dd762.2a72cbca_boundary--