[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

drjz drjz@bealenet.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:11:55 -0400

"Jazz In The Movies" by David Meeker (1977) has more than 2000 films listed alphabetically with annotations and illustrations--Alabama's Ghost is # 36. The musician(s) in each movie are in bold type and in the Index, so you could pick out the ones you are interested in. I don't know of a similar listing of videotapes but, if it isn't available now and known by someone else, there should be one published soon. Cheers.
Fred Spencer

Dan Augustine wrote:
Folks--
   OK, i give up.  I'm lazy.  I liked watching the movie "The Gig", and it kind of whetted my appetite for movies with dixieland/OKOM bands in them.  I'm not all that interested in movies with big bands (Duke Ellington, etc.), just movies (either fiction or documentaries) of OKOM.    Anybody know of any lists on the internet or in books i could look at?  I just discovered that Turk Murphy's band played in (and he appeared in) the movie called "Alabama's
Ghost", which apparently is some kind of horror-flick.  And i know about "Pete Kelly's Blues", "New Orleans", and the Woody Allen films, plus some documentaries with/of Louis Armstrong.  Plus, of course, there are the films of performances from various festivals over the years.