[Dixielandjazz] Federal Jazz Commission

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@earthlink.net, JazzHarmonicat@hotmail.com
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:17:06 -0400

"David W. Littlefield" wrote:

> Federal Jazz Commission, which I played with for a couple of years on piano,
> later several more years on banjo and guitar, consists of:
>
> Marty Frankel--leader, cornet
> Henning Hoehne--Clarinet, Soprano
> Steve Welsh--trombone, vocals
> Donn Andre--banjo
> Tom Gray--upright bass (formerly with Seldom Scene bluegrass band)
> Sonny McGown--Drums
>
> The only DC area band to specialize in the King Oliver, Hot 5-7 and other
> classic trad. They have 3 CDs, (perhaps more by now) which include Ron Hockett,
> now with Jim Cullum's band.
>
> --Sheik

I would add that San Antonio has nothing on DC with the Jim Cullum band,
since we have the Federal Jazz Commission.  All the above listed players
are superb.  Marty is HOT, HOT, HOT!!! on trumpet.  Steve Welsh is
I guess my favorite trombone player.

It wasn't fun driving through DC to get to the gig, and the venue isn't as
nice as the Hyatt on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, and unfortunately
the dedicated audience has to put up with a certain amount of noise from
the young folks at the bar (from the nearby Catholic U, I suppose).

--
Henry Stinson, BSECE, Website Developer and Software Engineer (Visual Basic)
Vocalist, Jazz Harmonica, Jazz Whistling and "Mouth Trumpet".