[Dixielandjazz] THE POWER OF OKOM

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:37:09 -0500

Jim Denham wrote:
        >>> and his guitarists included such trad purists
as Herb Ellis and Kenny Burrell.<<<<

          Trad purists????  As much as dislike labels, classifying every
performance, and pigeon-holing performers, I have to say that I have never
heard either of these guys play anything even remotely trad.
           They are both excellent players...I have at least 10 CDs with
Herb Ellis on them, plus a number of LPs.  I have 3 CDs of Kenny Burrell and
also a number of LPs.
           I have an LP of Herb playing with the Assunto Dukes of Dixieland,
and I assure you he's not playing it like a banjo.  He's comping rhythm, and
playing single string solos.  A swinging performance by Herb and the whole
group.
            Do you know of any recordings where either of these guys plays
trad?
            Pat Cooke