[Dixielandjazz] Band etiquette during solos

Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:10:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Dan Augustine wrote:

>     Several posts about bass solos reminded me (unpleasantly) of behavior
> i've occasionally seen during solos, especially (for some reason) bass/tuba
> solos. The people in the band who are not playing sometimes seem to walk
> around, talk to each other (sometimes loudly enough for the audience to
> hear), joke, and generally behave as if nothing's going on.  They're just
> waiting to play again, and are bored.

   Personally, I listen to the other soloists while I'm waiting for my
turn.  Even with guys you've played with for years, there's always
something new for you to learn and possibly add to your toolbox.  In
addition, I'm also thinking of the best way to start my own solo, building
on the groundwork laid down by the guy ahead of me.

Mike Loewen			mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
The Dixie Lion Jazz Band	http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/dixie.html