[Dixielandjazz] Band etiquette during solos

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:07:17 -0500

Folks--
    Several posts about bass solos reminded me (unpleasantly) of behavior i've occasionally seen during solos, especially (for some reason) bass/tuba solos. The people in the band who are not playing sometimes seem to walk around, talk to each other (sometimes loudly enough for the audience to hear), joke, and generally behave as if nothing's going on.  They're just waiting to play again, and are bored.
    I think this is pretty bad and unprofessional behavior.  The shining example of how to do it correctly (to my mind) is the way the Jim Cullum band does it: stand and listen respectfully to the soloist.  Sometimes they'll leave the stage, but even then they'll face the person taking the solo and appear to listen.  I've seen a number of otherwise pretty good bands (sometimes even nationally known players) act as if nobody's playing, and this diminishes them in my eyes.  Maybe they don't know they're doing it, maybe nobody's told them what to do and not do.  Ain't no excuse.
    End of rant.

Dan